So I was surprised and stoked to see over 200 messages on my phone from YouTube today. Apparently The Stanley Steemer Variations (by Mia) has grown more legs thanks to a post at Reddit and I am thrilled more people are getting a chance to see it. Thanks to everyone who has supported me with your comments, your energy, your love… I am grateful and humbled. As for the haters, and skeptics, who somehow seem to have me all figured out, and claim that I’m not who I say I am, please read my manifesto:
1. I am not affiliated in any way with the company Stanley Steemer, and they have not contacted me.
2. I am a struggling artist in NYC. I do not work for an ad agency, nor am I waging a “viral marketing campaign.” If I hoped to get some attention from this video, then guilty as charged.
3. I sang all the vocals on this, and am proud to say no Autotune whatsoever was used; that’s not how I roll.
4. Some are crying foul that the video is lip-synched. Not to spoil the illusion, but, yes, the video is lip-synched! All music videos are lip-synched! This started as a voiceover demo that morphed into a crazy video project, shot in a friend’s bedroom with a Sony Handycam. I did the hair, makeup, and costumes, and my friend Roger shot and edited it. Crew of two. Cast of one. I want everyone to see how much fun we had making this; maybe we’ll have to release the “Making Of” documentary sometime soon! 🙂
5. A few dudes snickered at me for saying my video was “viral” at 150,000 views. That’s what everyone was telling me; are they wrong? What constitutes “viral”: a million? My previous video had like 25 views, so I was ecstatic.